A Few Signs It’s Time to Upgrade Your Home Heater or Furnace
With the colder months approaching, you should look for signs that it’s time to upgrade your home heater or furnace.
A few telltale indications you may need to replace your heating system:
- Excessive noise from the unit. Clanking or banging could be a loose blower fan blade – that is a simple fix. But if the noises continue, your HVAC compressor may be showing its age.
- Increasingly expensive energy bills. Review energy bills from the past several years. If you notice an upswing in the cost of heating your home over time, it may be worth considering the purchase of a more efficient unit.
- A unit that is more than 15 years old. HVAC systems can perform well for 20 or 30 years, but become less efficient at around the 15 year mark. If your furnace or heater was in place when you purchased your home, try to find the installation date to determine the age of the unit.
- Corrosion or cracks are visible on the unit. A small amount of rust on an older furnace is not unusual. But large sections of corrosion, particularly on a newer unit, may indicate poor venting and require a furnace replacement.
- Repairs are constantly needed. Calculate the cost of repairs to your furnace or heater in the last year. Then consider what the upfront and monthly operating costs for a new unit would be to determine if replacement makes financial sense.
- Irregular cycling. A unit that runs seemingly with no schedule is costly to operate. A qualified technician can determine the cause of irregular cycling.
Chad’s AC Direct technicians can help you determine whether it’s time to upgrade your furnace or home heater. Call 334-651-0582 today to schedule a service call by one of our experienced techs.